The Brightling Curriculum
The Brightling Childcare Academy curriculum is rooted in play-based learning. Young children are naturally more open to learning when the “lessons” are enveloped in their interests: their creativity soars and their engagement deepens as they learn.
At our centre, we provide meaningful experiences and opportunities for reflection appropriate to each age group, following the Reggio Emilia Approach. Developed in Italy more than 50 years ago by Loris Malaguzzi, “Reggio Emilia” has been building a following among early childhood educators across Europe and North America in the last decade.
Through self-directed learning, children absorb and demonstrate what they’ve learned in a multitude of ways (unlike the traditional “sit-listen-read-repeat” system older generations knew), with the direction of our trained early childhood educators.
We guide each child as they learn facts and concepts and communicate them using combinations of words, numbers, art, music, movement, and experimentation – following their own personal interests and optimal learning style.
The Reggio Emilia Approach
We believe children learn in many ways, primarily through their relationships with the topics and with the influencers who guide their experiences of them:
- Their parents and/or caregivers, who help them interpret the world around them from birth
- Their teachers, who work with them individually to present the things they need to learn in terms, contexts, and activities that will engage them
- Their learning environment, designed to offer a rich combination of stimuli and experiences that will inspire them and spark their natural curiosity.
At Brightling Childcare Academy, we partner with our children’s parents to provide this rich, personalized learning environment… and to ensure their kids have fun while they’re at it.
We believe children have everything they need to learn about the world, as long as we don’t get in their way.
Children are naturally curious, adventurous, and creative. They bravely take risks every day, as they try new things and meet new people. They make brilliant connections between what is and what could be. Our job, as we see it, is to provide an environment that will:
1) Inspire, nourish, and reward them as they pursue their learning through guided play and exploration, and
2) Pair them with specialized early childhood educators who are trained to recognize their needs and aptitudes, and offer learning opportunities tailored to them.
Brightling Childcare Academy strives to offer every opportunity and advantage, for our children to develop a love of learning that will shape their lives in positive ways well beyond their formal schooling. And to join us and their friends in having fun, every day.