This we know: kids LOVE to create, they love colour, they love to make a mess, and they love to be outdoors. This month’s “Things to do” delivers on all four!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup baking soda
- 3/4 cup warm water
- food colouring
- plastic squeeze bottles (you can find these at a dollar store if you don’t have any)
Making the paint
- Wait to make up the paints until you’re ready to use them, because they don’t maintain their texture for a long time in the bottle (the solids settle).
- Mix the cornstarch and baking soda together in a large bowl, and then slowly whisk in the warm water. Mix well until the ingredients are well combined.
- Then, divide the “paint” into bowls, with one for each colour you want to make – and add the food colouring until you achieve the shades you want. Mix them again really well, then pour each one into a squeeze bottle, and your kiddos are ready to beautify your driveway and/or your patio stones!
- If you have an extra squeeze bottle, put some white vinegar in it so the kids can have fun watching the vinegar react with the baking soda once they’re done with their creations. It’ll be a fizzy, colourful mess: our favourite!